Sunday, March 13, 2011

Birthdays, big waves, and a good book!

Happy Sunday!
Sundays can be terrible, because that means that monday is right around the corner... Fortunately for me, the days of the week have no meaning whatsoever anymore.

Lots going on in the last week or so. My birthday was the 8th.. 24 years old.. don't ask, I don't know how it happend, and I don't know where the time went.. I ask myself the same questions over and over.. Husband stepped up and got me an incredible birthday gift! A KitchenAid Mixer, professional series 600!! I have been wanting one since I was like 5.. seriously! Although this isnt actually a picture of mine, or quite the right one, this is what it looks like! The thing is seriously massive--the box claims it can do 13 DOZEN cookies or 8 POUNDS of mashed potatoes! amazing right!
  Outside of my birthday, there were some WAY bigger things going on the last few days. The 8.9-9.0 earthquake in Japan that triggered tsunami waves across the entire Pacific Ocean. My prayers go out to Japan and all who are there, or have family or friends there during this truly tragic time. I read earlier that the deathtoll continues to rise as THOUSANDS were found this morning. So sad. And the nuclear power plants are causing even more cause for concern. I seriously hope they are able to contain the plants and prevent as much damage as possible.
My prayers for this tragedy hit way closer to home than comfort allows. Most of my family lives right on the Southern Oregon Coast. I woke up Friday morning, opened my computer to see a red bar across my computer claiming tsunami waves were going to hit the US west coast. Needless to say my heart jumped through my chest, and my phone rang at the same time. It was my mom, asking if she was going to hear from us with concern about them being drowned. Although there were some small swells and damage costs are high in some areas, we can call ourselves lucky. There are few fatalities, and local heroes stepped up as strangers were swept to sea. The panic that sets in your body when you realize a natural disaster might hit where your family is and there is nothing you can do but worry, is the worst feeling ever. Especially when you realize how incredibly real the danger is. The southern Oregon coast sits directly on a major fault line, that experts say is expected to move anytime. When this happens our coast will be just like Japan, or Chili, or Haiti, the dangers and fatalities will be the same. My home town will be completely locked to itself, if not completely washed away. Just reminders to us all that the earth is powerful and we all need to pay attention.                 
              



On a happier note: I finally read "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" By Steig Larson. Excellent book. The first 60-80 pages are hard to get into, but believe me, its worth the struggle. I just finished the book earlier today and am eagerly awaiting the time to start the next in the series "The Girl Who Played With Fire"

Enjoy your week and remember to respect nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment